As many of us approach or are stepping through our 50's,
I am a firm believer and observer of our beauty within. That should always be our first skip before we hop or jump into anything else.
Having said that, I still want to look and feel sassy and wonderful.. and have a healthy intuitive beauty routine, attitude.... and spirit and I know you do too.
So, here's our TOP 9 (yes because no one is a 10) Must do's:
Researched, tested, and proven!!
(1) Wear Sunscreen Every Day
I know it's tedious to constantly hear about the importance of sunscreen, but if there is one beauty rule I'd tell my 15-year-old self, son, daughter, niece or nephew, it's to wear a decent sunscreen every day. Nothing damages your skin more than exposure to the sun, wind, air-conditioning and pollutants (yes, you've heard me say it some 1000 times and it's true.. It's the number one cause of brown spots, wrinkles, and skin cancer.
Here's the catch: not all sunscreens are equal. You should choose a sunscreen of at least 30 SPF and you should choose one that blocks UVA and UVB rays. (Wild Nature Liquid Suncare)
Three things to remember once you've found the right sunscreen:
- You should wear it rain or shine. UV rays break through cloud cover and it's important to make a habit of using sunscreen daily. And don't worry, it won't clog your pores as long as you cleanse your face at night.
- Reapply throughout the day. The renowned dermatologist Patricia Wexler insists that all women (whatever their skin tone) reapply sunscreen throughout the day.
- Slather some on top of your hands. It's where we show our age more than any other part of our body. (in addition to our neck).
(2) Make Sure You Have the Right Cleansers and Moisturisers
You may have also noticed the older you get, the drier your skin becomes.
As we age, our skin suffers a slowdown in oil production and cell turnover, especially after menopause. Many of our customers noticed their naturally oily skin turned as dry as the Sahara Desert at age 35 and new customers who have always had dry skin felt that after 35, their skin just felt dryer.
Product recommendations: Wild Nature Face & Body Milk (cleanse and moisturise) formulated for mature skin and smells divine. I use Wild Nature Face & Body Wash, it’s perfectly balanced and leaves my skin fresh and delicious.
As for moisturiser, if you have very dry skin that gets flaky, then the extra moisturising Wild Nature Face & Body Cream is perfect and a godsend for dermatitis too. I Can't live without my Antioxidant Serum and Milk combo for morning and my Antioxidant Serum and Cream at night. And I also like to use Wild Nature Repair Oil from the breast bone down and really every part of my lower body.
Who doesn't want compliment’s, and these are almost guaranteed when used every day, week and month... That's my secret.
(3) What to Do If Your Skin Is as Dry as the Sahara Desert
To keep dry skin in the best condition possible, it's important to cleanse with proper products that won't zap skin of moisture. You also have to exfoliate. Most importantly, you'll need to keep your skin moisturised throughout the day.
Here are some tips to keep your face from drying out:
- Don't use hot water. This only strips your skin of oils. Instead, use lukewarm water or skip the water and cleanse skin with a cold treatment such as Wild Nature Face & Body Milk or Cream.
- Use a milky cleanser formulated for dry skin (Wild Nature Face & Body Milk)
- Wild Nature Thick, moisturising Face & Body cream and Repair Oil will help lock moisture in. Always apply at night and in the morning under your makeup.
- Consider investing in a product that helps the skin absorb and hold onto moisture. (Wild Nature Antioxidant Serum effectively also helps plump up the skin).
- Exfoliate on a weekly basis. If you have dry skin, you likely have flaky skin, so you should exfoliate once or twice a week. I like to use a wet washcloth and Wild Nature Face & Body Exfoliant to exfoliate.
- To keep the rest of your body moisturised, stay away from drying soaps in the shower and opt for Wild Nature Face & Body wash instead. After your shower, it's important to moisturise and address damage at the cellular level (Wild Nature Face & Body Lotion).
(4) Find an Oil You Love
Oils are one of the hottest trends in skincare today. Everyone's talking about their favourite oils, what aroma they like the best, and what works best for their skin types.
Product recommendations: I JUST LOVE Wild Nature Antioxidant Serum and Repair Oil, both oils are natural, glide on smoothly, and leave skin feeling plump and dewy.
(5) Exfoliation Is Key
Exfoliation is a must as we age. "The outer layer is a roof of dead skin, and it thickens as you age, so you need to exfoliate to see more of the fresher skin,"
You should exfoliate both your body and your face weekly, more often if your skin gets dry, itchy, and flaky (which can happen especially in the cold winter months).
Use Wild Nature Exfoliant on dry skin and do exfoliate before you shower as moisturiser goes on much more smoothly when the skin is exfoliated.
For the face, I recommend again, Wild Nature Face & Body Exfoliant.
Facial masks should be in your fortnightly skin care regimen and will leave skin feeling amazing. That's because they deeply cleanse and hydrate skin.
I have found that applying a facial mask once a week or every two weeks gets the job done.
Product recommendations: Like so many of us, we're too busy to make our own scrubs, so we use Wild Nature Exfoliant instead.
(6) Do Eye Creams Work?
The first signs of ageing are usually around the eyes, which prompts women to purchase pricey eye creams which promise to turn back time. The truth is, they don't. The skin around your eyes is very thin and will only get thinner as you age.
A good eye treatment is usually just a more specifically derived ingredient list than your typical facial Serum or moisturiser. And so many of our men & women swear by Wild Nature Eye Serum. So, for all you believers out there, it’s easy and neat to apply and carry in your handbag or suitcase.
(8) Is There a Miracle Cream? Yes, There Is
People ask me all the time if there's some sort of cream that will turn back the hands of time. There isn't. But there is a complex set of ingredients that will help diminish fine lines and wrinkles because it penetrates to the lower layers where the collagen is
Product recommendations: Wild Nature Aloe Face & Body Lotion and Antioxidant Serum combination.
(9) How to Cover Up Spider Veins and Varicose Veins
Spider and varicose veins can make us feel old and uncomfortable, but if you have them you are in good company. Most women as they age develop some veins in their legs. You can have them professionally removed or you can cover them up with concealer.
Product recommendations: Wild Nature Concealer/Highlighter Pencil is the magic wand for concealing anything from veins, to bruising, discolouration under the eyes or anywhere for that matter). A lot of women over age 50 wear pants or dark stockings to find these veins so our Stick is certainly worth a try before succumbing to this.